Sunday, January 18, 2015

The Finishing touches and on to new project....

I know you are busy. But I wanted to show you the final pictures of the floor job, at least in the office and the guest room. It's terribly hard to take pictures in a small room, so for that I am sorry they are mediocre pix!

 Please note....we put in all new baseboards, getting rid of the 1950's 2 3/4" baseboards. These are 5 1/4" baseboards...simple lines....they make almost as big a difference as the floors!
This is the office today....lots of shelving, however the floors are a treat! Before it was the ugly old carpet and today the office feels bigger.....
I took this picture to show you I was able to find the same runner as the one I bought last time....our hall is 25", now most is covered to protect for the dogs that have decided this is a great place to play tag.....
 The lamp in the corner by the armoire is going away as it is unnecessary.....and yesterday I hung the drapes and tidied up, so excuse the pile on the trunk in the background....
 The bedside table is now sporting a lamp and mirror and large jar of shells....
The bed is made and ready for guests.....
I wanted to mention, for those who are considering their floors to be done. It is important to know, that to get floors done, you essentially have to move out. Take everything out that is breakable. Clear the closet floors and remove anything on the walls such as priceless works of art. Floor guys expect to move big pieces of furniture, but don't ask them to move shoes, clothes, breakables etc...think ahead...they will thank you (ours did) and you will be happier.
Beware too....putting in floors creates dust...sawdust (and in our case cement dust from grinding) so cover what you don't want dusty....
So, now that you have a peek of the floors and the rooms as they are in motion to be inhabited again...I wanted to share another project I started.....

I decided to create a slipcover for my husband's chair in the livingroom.
The chair I purchased about 8 years ago, maybe less....I bought it at a consignment shop for about $125. Since it came with an ottoman, I thought that a fair price. At the time, I was in a "Yellow Phase", where I was putting yellow everywhere. However, I'm in a gray/neutral phase, and the yellow no longer works.
Not to mention I looked at a label on the chair, it was made in 1977!
Yup, time to do something.
So, I found a linen fabric, a taupey natural heavy (yummy) fabric that tickled my fancy from Fabric-Store.com. It was $9 a yard. 57" wide and when it was washed and dried and then ironed was just perfect. So after having purchased 2 yards to play with and cover the ottoman, I realized I needed to slipcover his chair.....So, I bought 6 more yards.....




So, that is my newest project. I don't expect it to be perfect. I am making the pattern as best as I can with brown paper...that helps a great deal. My sewing is somewhat mediocre, but it will "beat" the yellow....It makes the room restful.....
I will show more when it is complete.....
and oh by the way...I am considering possibly tackling the sofa.......
Have a great day.
Nancy

No comments: