Monday, December 29, 2014

New doings....

Just so you know....I've been busy!
I have started a new baby quilt for my daughter's friend....using a new technique that I found....

These half squares as they are called, are simply created by sewing two squares together. Yup, you draw a diagonal line and sew a quarter inch seam on either side of the line, then cut on the line! So easy and you can whip up 110-120 squares in no time....This is the first layout, and then there will be a border.....
Then, for Christmas, Hubby got me the Ball Canner! It is a hybrid of a water bath canner and a pressure canner.
I have already used it, I made blackberry jam using the jam/jelly maker....21 mins and while the jam was cooking the canner was preheating the clean jars (10 mins) and held them at the ready until it was time to can. When the jam goes in the jars it is 26 mins to a finished canned jam that is shelf stable. After they cool, I washed them and labeled them and put them in the new part of the craft room closet that I created a shelf to put canned goodies!
Yeah, I have been recreating closets!
 First, here is the craft room closet.....it may look messy, but actually this is organized! Granted I have some "tweaking" left here, but now I have a shelves that I didn't before. Shelves are the Closet Maid from Home Depot....super easy to do! I now have at least one shelf for jams, jellies, pickles etc.....
 This is the "wrapping closet" where I had a dresser before. The dresser was big and didn't hold as much as you'd think. It is gone, and in its place are those shelves....way more organized!
Which lead me to the Master bedroom closet. Here I had a dresser also....it was a very old one that was designed for children's clothes. I am still in progress here on this one...but 5 shelves or more organized than 5 drawers! And I don't have to fight the drawer and closet door anymore! Hooray! Now, I know it needs lots of work still....but if you are looking for easy shelving units....Closet Maid is good. I chose the solid shelving, as opposed to the ventilated...which for some reason is double the price of solid....
In any case, as you can see I am still working on this....
Isn't that amazing? Organize with shelving....
Really.....simple! It is very similar to the Elfa system from Container store....but much less expensive. It is a system that uses a main bar across the top with two standards hanging from the top and then you put on your shelves. This way the pressure is not directly on the screws, more evenly suspended. It also makes up for the fact that no wall is plumb! Almost idiot proof....and I can do it in minutes! Literally! I had the gift wrap closet done in 10 mins! Then, I spent time organizing.....
So....I am off to babysit today....
Nancy

No comments: