Monday, December 1, 2014

More Preserving....

Our Lime tree has been busy. Far more productive than years past, however, the crop was late. Usually, we sell limes at the neighborhood garage sale in October, but this year they weren't ready. So, what to do with a plethora of limes? Well, google recipes of course.
Yesterday, I started limes for making marmalade. They need to sit overnight. That is what I did yesterday.
Today, while the concoction start boiling, I made Red Pepper jelly, using the jalapenos from the garden and a red pepper (from the store), a yellow one (from the store) and a green one just starting to turn from the garden. In 21 minutes I had pepper jelly!
When the pepper jelly was ready, the lime concoction was ready for its next phase, adding the sugar and cooking it for almost 20 minutes....When that was done, jelling on a frozen plate, I canned them!
Well, that was super yummy! I can't wait to try it to finish off a roast chicken with it.....
Then, with all the other limes that tree gave us today I was trying to find ways to preserve those. I found online that you can dehydrate limes....hummm, I can do that. Supposedly, they are terrific dropped into tea.....so I sliced four trays worth for the dehydrator....
Then, with some still left, I read you can freeze whole limes! Really?? I have frozen slices before, but whole? cool....
So, I filled this cookie sheet up more than in this picture, and stuck the whole thing in the freezer....to be bagged when they are frozen....
So, that is three ways to preserve limes....yummm.
Afterwards, the egg shells that I saved and dried, were ready to crush up and sprinkle on the raised bed where the slugs and snails have all but demolished my crop of cabbages. Supposedly, the shells will cut the creatures up. However, I have a dog that will eat everything. Humm....how do I make the crushed shells small enough she can't really eat them? Ah! the spice grinder (which is really just a coffee grinder that I don't use for coffee)...
Here are the shells, lightly crushed.


First grind in the grinder...(the brown stuff is onion skin that was on the counter, just threw that in for good measure)...
Now here it is a fine powder...
I put that around the cabbages, so we will see, if anything it will add calcium to the garden....
Hope you had a grand and productive day!
Nancy

No comments: