Saturday, December 13, 2014

Lime Marmalade

Well, our lime tree was very prolific this year. It produced oodles of limes. So, what does one do with a great harvest?
Make marmalade!

First step bring in your harvest.....
Wash and dry your fruit. My garden is organic, but it still gets dirty, especially since it often falls to the ground...so be sure to wash...
Then, thinly slice the fruit and put in a bowl. There should be about 2 1/4 pounds of fruit to start....
Let your sliced fruit sit about 8 or so hours, covered. Overnight is good.
Then, when you are ready, put the fruit into your very large pot and add 7 cups of water and bring to a boil. Once its to a boil, turn it down to a simmer until the fruit is tender.
Once it is tender, turn off the stove and measure (careful...this is hot....) the mixture into a another bowl. You want to add one cup of sugar to each cup of mixture. Now, I have read all kinds of directions about heating the sugar etc....I found "bakers sugar" which is Ultra Fine Sugar. If you can get that, use that...it dissolves faster and mixes in very well...worth the extra effort.....
Bring that mixture back to a boil, and let it cook down about 30-45 minutes or so. It should cook down about an inch or more in the pan...
Test a spoonful on a frozen dish to see if it is ready to gel....it kind of wrinkles and slows when it hits the dish....
You can also see in the pan you are cooking in that the sides of the pot are getting thick....
Now if you are planning to can this wonderful marmalade, your pot should already be on and hot and ready to go...the lids washed and in a hot pot waiting...
When the marmalade is ready....spoon it into hot sterilized jars with a 1/2 inch headspace.
For this I used 1/2 pint jars....
I processed in a hot water bath for 12 minutes for those 7 1/2 pint jars. There was still lots left over, which went into pint jars that I cooled and put into the refrigerator.
Take the jars out of the canner when the time is up and let cool completely...
When they are completely cool, wipe the jars down and then label and give!
What a great gift!
Now, if people don't like marmalade....no problem, marmalade is fantastic as a cooking sauce! Lime marmalade is terrific with teriyaki sauce and cooked on chicken or pork! Use it as a finishing sauce on a roast chicken and you will have a delicious meal.
Enjoy!
Nancy

2 comments:

Susie said...

I love the flavor of lime...never thought about it being made into a spread. I looked thru some of your previous post. You sure seem to be a great cook. I would not want to waste lime either. Remember in Little Women, where the teacher threw out all of Amy's limes. I will be visiting you now. I don't know enough about computers to redo my blog site. I want my list of blog pals on my side bar...but I have them on my favorites. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

A Joyful Cottage said...

I've never had lime marmalade, but I'm sure I would like it since I love anything lime flavored. One of the wonderful things about Southern California is all the wonderful citrus trees. And avocados! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving the nice words behind. xxx ~ Nancy