Thursday, December 18, 2014

A Christmas Party

We like to have our neighbors over for a Christmas gathering, but the last few years that hasn't happened much.
This year we opted to have just a few close neighbors over, keeping the numbers down make it more approachable....
However, whether I have 3 people or 30, I approach a party the same way.
I plan...a lot. It drives my Hubby crazy sometimes, but without the planning, things don't go smoothly.
This year because it was cold and damp, I added chili with the trimmings to warm everyone up as well as warm cider on the stove.
As neighbors came in they could choose what they'd like and make themselves comfy in the family room...overall I think it went well....
Here are some glimpses of the set-up..
 Here you can see I am laying things out, labeling platters with what goes where helps me a great deal...
I chose a red tablecloth and used this fun paper as a runner...it was quite wide, which helped protect the tablecloth....mostly.
 Here is the maple pecan bread....
 Butter cookies with cocoa in them done with a cookie press, a fleur de lis....
 Our famous Buckeye balls....
 More Butter cookies....
Snowballs, rum raisin, and chocolate chip....
 I always offer a veggie plate....it is always safe, served with hummus....
 Here I have a marble tray with two kinds of cheese, one a soft goat cheese with homemade pepper jelly and a French soft cheese...
I find if I put some dried fruit and some nuts, such as pecans it looks nice, but for some wonderful reason, people eat more....
 I also offered olives and cornichons....
 Here was the chili....it was a hit...I literally put all the ingredients into the crockpot about 5 hours before, and let it do its thing, I would occasionally stir it, but so simple and a great payoff! I added sour cream, grated cheese, avocado chunks and extra spices for people to "doctor" it up....Not much was left...
For every party, I always have savory and sweet....and way too much to eat. But in this case I had a plan. You see, today my daughter is having a party...and leftovers get to go to her house. How smart is that??
Friday, we have another party to go to, so extra cookies can go to that or the freezer for a tea party we are planning in February.
Of course, the big hit besides food at this party...my little 9 week old Grandson...he sort of stole the show...what a ham he has become!
I hope you are having a fun and festive season!
Nancy

1 comment:

NanaDiana said...

Wow- What a great spread of food there! I really love the idea of avocado in chili. I have never heard of that. I am going to try it. xo Diana