Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Working with History

Working with History...that sounds like some kind of thesis...but in truth, that is what I did this weekend.
Hubby worked with collecting up and organizing photos and photo albums all weekend, and I worked on a quilt.
It isn't my quilt top...I didn't make it...but I had picked it up at an estate sale...in a garage, where it had obviously been stored away for years...
I bought it and had to wash the quilt top to get rid of most of the dirt and grime.
Then, it sat for a few years in my cupboard. When I had my "store" on Etsy, I tried to sell it, half-heartedly....and then I took it out of the store thinking it deserved to be a quilt in whole.
So, it sat while I pondered how I would handle such a big quilt. It was made probably in the early 50's of fabric from the 30's, 40's and 50's as best as I can figure. It is a double bed quilt size.
This weekend, after buying some batting, I figured I would just do it. Better to be a quilt than quilt top....

Here you can see what trouble I had, aside from the size being pulled every which way through the machine.....
Her borders were not square so the borders, couldn't be quilted. I had to fold and play with the fabric to get it into the binding....
But in the end, even with the creator of the quilt's errors, it still makes a lovely, warm and inviting quilt!
I used an old cotton sheet for the backing and salvaged binding from other projects, so it has three colors in the binding....I felt it was in the spirit of the quilt to do that....as she had probably saved fabric from clothes etc to make this quilt.
So what if the borders aren't square? It is now a clean (though it has mildew stains), loved and truly a quilt.
In the process, I learned a good deal....mostly how important a "square border" is.
And, though there were words of cussing occurring in the craft room, I did have fun. And I love hand-stitching the binding on while watching TV.
Now, there are some of you thinking I should have hand-quilted...and yeah, it would have been good to do...but, my arthritis doesn't let me do much of that now. If I had gotten out the quilting frame, it would be in the family room for ages while quilting went on. Hand quilting might have dealt better with the border thing, but again, I don't think my body could do it....
So, here she is....

Glad to get it out of storage and into use! What a warm and cozy quilt. It will be lovely on the guest bed, which is a full.....
Have a great day...
Nancy

No comments: