Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Using Mash from Beer Making for Bread

Well, my Hubby and Son in Law have decided they wanted to make beer from scratch.
So, this weekend they started their endeavor. Part of the process leaves "mash", the grain used that is leftover from the process, which can be used to make bread....or compost.
First, in the morning, I made muffins.....
Muffins were made with Pamelas mix so I could eat them, and three got a little mash thrown in for Hubby. He said his were delicious. So, encouraged....
I looked up recipes on the internet, and all of them make the warning, not to use too much of the mash, as it has a tendency to make the bread bitter. Use no more than 1/3 of the bulk of flour and adjust for moisture the recipes said. Ok, cool....
So, I took out my tried and true recipe and began.



Now, these loaves did get stickier than usual and took forever to rise both times....but I figured that the moisture and all was to blame....
When they were baked, they looked yummy.....but my taste tester.....well, let's just say it wasn't pretty....all loaves were tossed in the trash....
I began again. This time using only 1 cup of mash to the recipe of 6 cups of flour.


This time it was a hit! Hubby said that the flavor was excellent.
So now I have about 8 bags of mash in the freezer, another in the fridge (waiting for more flour). That's a lot of bread I can't even eat! But, it is worth seeing Hubby happy with his bread......
Moral....if you decide to make beer, the leftover mash is excellent to use in bread or muffins etc. Don't use too much of it in making bread as it can be quite strong. Bitter even.....
Nancy

1 comment:

NanaDiana said...

It is always nice to have a "recipe tester" in blogland. I don't plan on making beer but I would like a taste of the bread! Have a great week. xo Diana