Friday, November 21, 2014

Grown up Mac 'N Cheese

I was out shopping with a friend, finding treasures. When she asked what I was having for dinner, I didn't know then. But by the time I got home, I knew. I wanted Mac 'N Cheese.
But, I am on a gluten-free diet with no dairy (from cows). Hummmmm
Well, I can be creative...
I started with a bag of Brown Rice Pasta from Trader Joes. That's a given
Then, I took a little olive oil and sauteed some Pancetta in the oil.... (if you haven't tried Pancetta do, it has a different and distinctive taste)
When the pancetta was done and crispy (not too crispy), I added some minced garlic.
When the garlic was done changing color (but not brown), I added a bit of gluten free flour and added almond milk to make a sauce.
Then, I added sheep's milk cheese. (The brand I have been thoroughly enjoying is a brand known as Basque Cheese....Trader Joe's sells it as does Costco)
To that I added chopped artichoke hearts and julienned dried tomatoes...a little pesto and soft goat cheese....
When the pasta was done I drained it and put it into a bowl, then I added the sauce....
To the top of that I threw in some toasted pine nuts...and voila!
Grown up Mac N Cheese!
Yup, Hubby loved it ! It was just the right amount of "gourmet" and he never knew it was gluten free!
It wasn't "dairy" free...but sheep's milk cheese is more easily digested as is goat's milk cheese....so go ahead, enjoy mac n cheese again!


No comments: