Sunday, November 2, 2014

Fireplace change

Ok, so I can't build a fireplace surround on my own. Hubby is more than dubious. I looked it up online and we could have a problem with surround distance from the opening...which has to be 6" all around. I could get that on the sides, but the header would be the issue. So, with that in mind, I will ask an expert...that will take time. However, being the DIYer that I am, I asked Hubby if he would mind if I painted the mantel. Paint is cheap, easy and re-doable..... He said, "sure".....

The "before"...... dark mantel felt heavy and dark to me.....
So, first I thought just to do a wash of French Linen...
When it was all "washed" and dry, it still didn't look right... so more paint went on....
 Here it is with two coats......

And here it is with the finished product...waxed (very lightly) in ASCP French Linen......
What do you think?
To me, it is more restful, the things I put on the mantel will show...and the painting above stands out more....
I am sure in a few years, it will get painted yet again...but for now, no cost...
Well, I have special bread rising that I will tell you about tomorrow....
Have a great day...
Nancy

1 comment:

NanaDiana said...

That looks great, Nancy. I like the grey and it lightens the "feel" in the room. Always something to do, isn't there? lol xo Diana