Thursday, October 16, 2014

Minus the binding....

I wanted to show you how the quilt, Blue Willow Stars, turned out.
I am pretty happy about it.
As the batting I used an heavy old flannel blanket, the kind you find at camp.... It worked quite nicely and since it only cost $2.50 at the Salvation Army, I am extra pleased as batting gets pricey, even with a coupon.
So, then my only cost, the border and backing material...with a coupon, $20; not bad for 4 yards! And, I used up a lot of my stash! Well, I am not out of fabric....but it helps....
I had a few little foibles but was able for the most part to remedy those, so I am extra pleased.
I wanted to do more than just a meandering pattern on the quilt, and I didn't want the blue thread that I have on the back to be on the white parts, so I did a little "flower" on the navy centers with navy thread and then did a meandering pattern on the blue areas all in navy. The white areas got the same "flower" in white. Then for the borders, I played....doing a vine that goes all around it.
Overall, not a bad days work....I even got some laundry done and early morning shopping, so I got a lot accomplished today!
 So, here is the quilt top ready to go, with no batting.....
 Here is the white area, showing the little vine .....you can also just make out the vine that is echoed on the blue border...

 This shows you the "flower" in the center of the navy and then the meandering pattern that runs through the rest of the strips in blue.....
 I used the same blue in doing the vine on the borders....

Tonight I get to stitch the final hand stitching on the binding while I watch TV....then this little quilt is ready for a new home.....
Have a great evening!
Nancy







1 comment:

NanaDiana said...

That is beautiful, Nancy. Very, very pretty. Someone is gonna love it. You do beautiful work. xo Diana