Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Dinner at Ma Maison

I was cruising through the many websites last night and got inspired...and decided to make a "fancy" dinner and create as I went.
Sometimes that means something inedible....and sometimes pure genius. Last night was somewhere in between...but still closer to genius.....
Hubby has now decided he dislikes quinoa...after we bought the huge bag at Costco. After loving it, he's done. So, what to do with all that quinoa?
Well, recreate....I decided to make quinoa patties.....

I cooked the quinoa like I usually do, then took half (about a cup's worth) and added an egg, some grated cheese (about a 1/3 cup), salt, pepper, and about 1/4 cup of Pamela's baking mix and mixed it all up and made patties.
Now, it is still pretty messy, so you could use a spoon and dollop it on the pan like a pancake......
Either way, when it is fried up like this, it makes it different enough that Hubby thought  it was pretty yummy. I also added some aoli (mayo with basil and garlic) on top.....
Then, I also cooked some salmon up (fried to make it crispy) and a salad to which I added pears and the pumpkin seeds from Trader Joes....


Altogether it looked like a restaurant.
And yeah, quinoa is still available in our house.....tonight will be a quinoa salad from the leftover quinoa that I cooked (not the patties).
Quinoa (pronounced keen-wa) is a great protein laden grain that is gluten free. You can get it at most stores, but some still charge a small fortune....if you belong to Costco you can get a big bag of the tri-color ( my favorite). The all white color quinoa is very bland indeed and not worth the fortune. The tri-color has much more flavor....
Quinoa salad is simple....treat it like a pasta....add all the goodies you want...I like bell peppers, olives, cranberries and other salad goodies in it and toss with a balsamic dressing.
Enjoy!
Nancy

No comments: