Sunday, October 26, 2014

Cozy Up!

Ah, Autumn! Cooler weather, shorter days create a need to make cozy spaces everywhere, and most of all in the bedroom.
Our bed was originally a canopy bed. Several years ago, I stashed the pieces, leaving it a four poster.
Then, about three or so years ago, I painted it French Linen, not liking the cherry color that always felt like it was fighting with the other things going on in the room. And, for a while that was fine. But recently, I have been exploring canopies again and thinking with the cooler weather, that it was time to bring those pieces out and paint them and create a canopy. Hubby said it was ok with him....
So, out came the paint and the pieces.....

 I almost forgot to take pictures for you.....see the cherry?? Yeah, I know there are some of you cringing right now....but seriously, it wasn't and antique or anything....
 this is after the first coat.....
I did actually have to buy another quart of paint after painting the toy box the other day....
 I used both clear wax and dark....
 Did you know about putting brushes in a ziploc between coats?? Yeah, it saves the brush from drying out and can keep it that way for a couple of days.....(this is also a good thing to do for latex painting as well....)
 And, here it is.....
So, what do you think??
The drapes on the side when not swagged can reach three quarters of the way down the bedside, if needed....
Now, here is a question.
Should I have a fabric swag across the top too?? Let me know...
Nancy

1 comment:

NanaDiana said...

I don't think you need a canopy piece across the top, Nancy...but then I am no expert. lol I like the way it looks with the side curtains though.

Did you know that those canopies on the top were originally put on to keep spiders, etc. from coming down onto the bed at night? Isn't THAT a pleasant thought?

Good job-it looks really great! xo Diana