Sunday, July 27, 2014

Making an "Antique" mirror

While treasure hunting the other day, I found and snatched up a fine little frame, which just screamed to be a mirror. It is a lovely long rectangular shape that fits nicely in many little areas....
It just needed mirror. Those can be expensive. Thinking I might find one and have it cut down I searched the rest of the day...without finding one. Remember the over the door mirrors? Yeah, they are now hard to find.
So, I went online and found out some interesting ways to make your own mirror. Now, that would be the ticket, after all I had the glass.....
So, I set my sights on a spray that Krylon makes....Ha.....
Off I went to Ace Hardware...and yes they had it!
Basically it is a type of spray on chrome....But as for making a mirror....it looks like an "Antique" mirror....kinda foggy.. but just look!

 (oops, that is the problem with photographing mirrors....you almost can't help getting pictures of yourself....)
I am sorry I didn't take a before picture....but you know what clear glass looks like.....
I was so excited about it, I went and got an old frame that had been sitting in the craft room for a couple of years, waiting for its project day. Well, I sprayed it first....and then remembered reading a blog where a crafter then went over it with a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water, to make  a mercury glass look. Hummmm.
Of course, I took too long getting the solution, it didn't work as well as I wanted..
 The mercury glass look I will have to play with, I think there is a great deal of finesse in timing etc...but and interesting look...



Now, when I saw the picture I realized how messy the craft room is...so I apologize. And, I the glass is still quite dirty, even though I thought I had cleaned it really well. So, before you do try it (and you really should!), be sure the glass is really, really, really clean! The problem with this one, I couldn't get the glass out safely, so I left it in.....
But seriously, it reflects pretty darn well....spray on mirror!!
Now, it won't replace the need for a proper reflecting bright, shiny clean mirror, such as in a bathroom. However, when you want one for a nook, or spot for that old mirror look....go to the hardware store....unless of course you score the real thing....
Well, time to do laundry.
Have a great weekend!
Nancy

2 comments:

Junkchiccottage said...

Nancy,
This is really neat. I am going to have to try this.
Kris

Lynne Halloran said...

There's really something magical about antique mirrors. The worn look has its own unique charm, but the history engraved in the marks of weathering is probably where most of the charm comes from. Of course, true antiques are in very limited supply, so to be able to imitate their charm is a wonderful feat. I love how easy it is, and I'm definitely trying out this project myself. Thank you so much for sharing!

Lynne Hollaran @ Suburban Glass