Saturday, July 12, 2014

All is Quiet....

Day before yesterday, the baby bluebirds left the nest box. I saw all four of them in the Jacaranda tree. They remained there for a day. I continued putting out the mealworms that I have been feeding for the last 4 1/2 months.
Today, they are definitely gone. All of them, not a peep. No calls, no chirps, just gone.
It's very sad. I feel I have lost some good friends....
Ladybird and her mate and all the children. They raised two broods here this year. Three babies in the first hatch and four in the second. I hope they return next year.
 (Pictures taken from Google)
(picture taken from google)
I knew of course they wouldn't be here forever, but I will miss them.....How they greeted me in the morning when I came out to feed them. How Ladybird sang to her babies, before they hatched and how she would talk to them in the house. Even how when it was getting close to time for the babies to leave she would swoop at the dogs, whom she trusted up until that time. Her different calls and their dedication to the task at hand. Their sweet romance before the nesting.....
I hope they return next year......
The mealworms in the feeder remain untouched today....
Nancy

1 comment:

Barbara Lilian said...

What a beautiful bird, not seen here in France or where I lived in England. If they are native to your area I'm sure they will return. At the moment we have the last batch of baby Bluetits coming to our feeders. A joy to see. Nature is such a wonderful thing to see.