Thursday, July 24, 2014

All in the Details

I have been working almost non-stop on my daughter's baby shower. That is why the lawn got the new seating area, why the new fountains and why now my shoulder and neck aren't so happy. But, it is the details that make a party happen. The stuff that most people won't even see....so in the future (about a week away) I will show you the actual set-up.
But today, I decided I needed to have candy for the party (small candy bar idea). I have been going back and forth on it....knew I didn't want a ton...not the focus, but a little surprise and extra decor.
I went to Surfas ( a great shop for professional cooks and homemakers)...just to glean ideas. Sure enough they had small traditional canisters, but too expensive....they had candy, but not what I was looking for.
Then I went to TJMaxx...they have the trendy candy containers...at decent prices, but really, their openings are small and the whole container is so fragile, then I saw canisters, cute but expensive. That is when the lightbulb went off. I have two traditional canisters, good sturdy and ready to go! So, I will use those and I went to Cost Plus to get two more...so I can have three or four! Perfect....now to find candy.....
I also found a sale item that I couldn't pass up in Cost Plus's sale section.....this darling little metal crown...


You see, this is the "bar" area....the coffee bar and the wine bar....don't worry....it will be cleaned up more before the party....
Speaking of which, see the inside of the hanging shelf? Well, it used to be a yellowy color...I washed it with French Linen (literally, almost 50/50) it gives it a driftwood kind of color....

After I had "washed" that I looked over at a little mirror that I bought. That was a bold black and gold which really didn't suit me...so it got a makeover too....in French Linen with heavy wax....
Here it is in the process.....
It is all those details that one sees that no one else will....but certainly make a difference....
Ahhhh, but I have windows to wash and screens....and more planning taking place. Surprises up my sleeves that she doesn't even know about....
What do you do before a big party??
Nancy

No comments: