Monday, May 12, 2014

Easier than Pie

Ok, so I was so excited to get the jam maker that I went out and bought blackberries, which are my favorite.
The recipe called for 4 6oz packages...so it makes small batches at a time....
Then I rinsed and put them in the food processor to chop and mash...

You sprinkle in the prescribed amount of pectin, then the crushed berries and turn it on....

It starts stirring and heating up...in four minutes it is ready for the sugar (I used the low sugar recipe).....
Then for another 22 minutes it cooked and stirred, while I changed the laundry, put on artichokes for dinner and went out to jar storage to get jars....

When my jars were ready, so was the jam! Seriously! You know it was just right by the way it jelled on the ladle and the funnel......
Oh yummmmm....this will be a fun toy. Other benefit...the kitchen didn't get hot....well, not from the jam, maybe from the huge artichokes I was cooking....
Voila!
Two pints of blackberry jam....
The plastic lids are only for storage in the fridge....these are not proper canning lids...If I was going to make them shelf safe I would use the two piece metal lids....but these are great for this type of application.
Well, now it is time to clean the non-stick pot on the machine....
Have a great evening...
Nancy

2 comments:

Barbara Lilian said...

I love home made jam, but I was never successful with my attempts, don't know why ! as I always followed the recipe to the last detail. This machine sounds like the answer to my prayer. But on second thoughts I'm trying hard to cut down on all the sweet things I love. So perhaps I'd be better just sprinkling the fruit over my breakfast cereal. :)
Hope you enjoyed your blackberry jam.

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

I used to make homemade jam with my mom...this recipe seems easier!...looks wonderful !