Monday, May 19, 2014

Cure for a rusty "teacart"

About two years ago, I found a great little metal "teacart" at a garage sale. Score! At the time, it was lovely and not rusty. But, abuse on our part in using it outside had taken the shine on the poor cart. If I used it as I often did for big parties and such, I covered it with a tablecloth.
Yesterday, I decided it was time for a change. I figured if chalk paint didn't work (remember no priming or sanding)...then later I would spray paint it.
But, spray painting something is more complicated. It requires moving cars...setting up the spray station and of course getting the spray paint in the color of your choice.
Or....you can go into the garage, where my chalk paint is nicely stored, pick the color of choice, set up a drop cloth, grab a paintbrush and sit down and enjoy yourself. No fumes, no fuss.....
So, yup. that is what I did!
So, sweet Hubby, who was keeping me company, took two shots with his phone, realizing I had forgotten the "before"...

See the rust? Yeah, I admit it. The rust is my fault. Although it was covered most of the time, just being outside, it got rusty......
So, here I am, painting. I of course wiped it clean, but just went right over the rust. Like I said. The rust may find its way to the top again (it does with other paint), but why not have fun, right?
I painted it Duck Egg Blue (no wax as it will primarily be used outside, at least in summer).


I was quite pleased with the coverage...two coats and it was done....then I realized as I was painting that the legs were now an obvious rusty chrome....not my style...so I went and got my Graphite and painted those that color....
What do you think?? It looks quite lovely I think, and ready for a summer of fun....
What kind of things do you do on a whim??
Nancy

2 comments:

Barbara Lilian said...

Your trolley looks great with the new coat of paint, & such a lovely colour. Chalk paint is hard to find here in France where I live & really expensive so the few stockists I've found only seem to stock the basic colours. Will you be able to still leave it outside without sealing the paint with something ?? I'm only a beginner with chalk paint !

Penny @ The Comforts of Home said...

I really like that color. Great job! Thanks for visiting my blog.