Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Using what I learned....

Not long ago, I took a class on Craftsy. It was so much fun! The class was one the site was offering at 50% off, so I figured why not?
Oh, what fun. The best part, I could sit in PJs and go through the thing at my leisure...then go back over and over.....
There were so many little things that I felt made the whole class priceless.
For starters, there were different approaches to some piecing techniques on a Dresden Plate, on piecing with jelly rolls and even machine quilting....
Today, I worked with machine quilting, using some of the techniques she mentioned in the class....and then, oh, then the machine sewing of binding....
Now, usually, one machine stitches the binding onto the front then folds it over and hand sews that on. Well, at least that is what I was taught (like a hundred years ago....). But, she showed a technique that works especially well for small quilts, baby quilts, runners, placemats etc....
For this you sew the binding onto the back at 1/4" seam, then fold it over to the front and using these clover clips, you machine sew it on.....

As soon as she showed these clips, I ordered them....a "steal" at Amazon....but totally worth getting anywhere you can....I love them!
I worked on quilting....here is my little table runner made from "Scrumptious" by Moda (jelly roll)....

 (The purple marks are made with a "disappearing" ink, and if they haven't evaporated do so with a spritz of water....which I did after the picture>>>)
 (here is the back showing all the sewing...)
Now, I am still in love with my Accuquilt...no measuring necessary...and I should have thought to use it with the strips I put together and cut them square that way. I have to admit, I am notorious at not measuring well or cutting straight. The teacher on Craftsy made it look so easy! Truth be told, she has been doing what she does for many years. I learned to cut squares (or other shapes) and stitch those together....which feels more comfortable to me. However, it is great to learn new ways and ideas.
The quilting that I did was using the bubbles or pebbles technique, just very small. Before that I used a template to make three large designs in the center....and a script style on the small border.
Oh the trouble I can get into implementing a few of the teacher's techniques! I even have added her method of rolling binding as you create it so it is under control. (I have often had just a "wad" of binding before).
I can't wait to do the Dresden Plate.....that will have to wait til another day!
Nancy

No comments: