Tuesday, April 15, 2014

The corner cabinet

Years and years ago, I found a corner bookcase for sale. At the time, it was a week's worth of groceries, but Hubby said to get it....
So, I did.
There isn't a picture of it that I can find, but it was a honey colored pine...and it lived for years in the corner of our bedroom holding prized knick-knacks.
Then, somewhere along the way, it was moved and painted a bright white.
It has lived in the "craft" room for many years now, all white....and too bright.
A few months ago, a little more than 6 months I think, I painted the outside portion French Linen. I didn't know what I wanted to do with it on the inside, and all my embroidery thread is stored there....
Then, yesterday, the lightbulb went off when I was painting the little planter.....
So, off I went, mid laundry and while the planter was still drying, and started to paint the inside duck Egg Blue....

This shows you the bright white and the changes....
The original plan was to do a dry brush of Old White over the Duck Egg Blue, but I just couldn't. I like the pop of color and I am really tired of the white....
So, when the Duck Egg dried, I finished off the the rest of the shelves with French Linen....
So, after a couple of hours...here is what I have....


I think my embroidery colors look brighter somehow...
The funny story was....I had just put the thread organizer back on the shelf and left. I was in the kitchen when I heard a sound....it even made the dogs bark. I went down the hall, and there all over the floor were all the spools of embroidery thread and the holder....
It had slipped off and fallen! Yikes!
I had to pick each one up and replace them...There are 60 spools on the rack. I think some are still lost deep under the bed!
Oh well, with my back being grumpy, I wasn't going to push it more, so those spools will just have to wait.....
So, what do you think?
To me it feels calmer...and I am eyeing the chair rail....really....
Nancy

4 comments:

NanaNor's said...

Love it!! Wasn't sure I'd like it a color other than white but I do!!!!
I can tell you that we have some of the same Amish figurines. As for your back-be careful and don't forget to ice it.
Have a good afternoon.
Noreen

Barbara Lilian said...

Thank you so much for your mail to me. I hope you rec'd mine I was just getting ready to send it and the nurse can in, so wasn't sure whether it had been sent or I'd lost it. You need to rest up all this painting and garden work. I know I did the same but please take care of yourself. the corner unit looks great with the colour rather than white. and how super the ceramic planter looks with a coat of chalk paint and being used in the bathroom, now that's what I call recycling with a great deal of charm. Take care.

Cristina Garay said...

I love the new color on the hutch, white is a favorite of mine, but I always love change! The colorful spools are simply art, great thinking!

NanaDiana said...

I love it! It turned out great and the color is perfect. It really makes the things inside it POP. Amazing what a difference a bit of paint can make, isn't it? xo Diana