Wednesday, April 16, 2014

In the Garden with birds....

For the last several weeks, I have been enjoying many Crowned Sparrows and finches and most of all our bluebirds.
I have even gotten into buying mealworms for the birds.....
This has become expensive, but short of raising my own mealworms (I don't think so) I will keep it up. The Bluebirds now come when they see me, chortling and even singing. There are several places where I have been putting the worms for all the birds, but the bluebirds got a special spot in the sideyard just for them...and they know it!
If the worms are gone, the female, now called "Ladybird" comes to the window and begs...really!
She has become quite friendly, and though she isn't on my shoulder or anything, she is close. She knows the dogs and they know her....quite fun.
There is a site online, allaboutbirds.com, that gives their info and sounds....

Ladybird has been building a nest in the bluebird box we have in the jacaranda tree.....I can't wait! In the meantime, I must buy more worms....they will expect them when babies arrive.
Enjoy your day....
Nancy

4 comments:

Susie said...

Wish I had your way with the bluebirds...we had some nesting for two years and this year, I have yet to see any. Blessings for a great Spring. xoxo,Susie

NanaDiana said...

Your birds are beautiful. We don't get bluebirds here but I have always loved them. xo Diana

Karen said...

Bluebirds are so beautiful. It must be relaxing and fun to watch their comings and goings. I'll bet they really appreciate the worms too. Enjoy your winged friends and thanks so much for stopping by my blog.

Martha Tsihlas said...

I stumbled upon your blog via .com My French country home. As I was reading I notice you mentioned jacaranda trees. I went to Mexico city in the spring and the jacaranda trees where in full bloom. What a sight! I got hold of some seeds, hopefully in a few hundred years I will have a Jacaranda tree, lol. I'm in Austin,Texas. Are you in the United States? I have never seen jacarandas in the US. By the way, I'm also a quilter. Thanks for bloggin, Martha