Monday, April 21, 2014

Easter

Well, I hope you all had a great and wonderful Easter!
I know we did.
Our weather, here in So. Calif, was eggsceptional!
It was clear and warm and delightful, until about the time we wanted to sit outside, then there was a breeze and no one wanted to sit outside, even though all day I cleaned and plumped pillows etc....
However, I had a feeling it might be that way, it often is, so I set two tables....one outside and one inside....
And Hubby, well, he outdid himself!
He smoked a turkey!
Well, "cheater's" smoking I guess, as he didn't use his smoker.....that would have taken 12-14 hours for a little 10 lb bird. So, he found a recipe that gave tons of smoke and flavor and cooked in 2 hours.
I was very good and took pictures in the beginning....then the guests arrived and the pictures stopped....I am bad....
But, I did take pictures of the brining....well, set up anyway.

I got him a food safe container from a place called Surfas which is for restaurants and the public....
The recipe used water, kosher salt, and honey, and ice. Then, it was put in the refrigerator for 12 hours....no more (so the recipe said).
While it brined on Easter, I made a peach crisp. Now, I tried very hard to find fresh peaches....they just aren't ripe yet, so I used canned peaches (jar peaches as my daughter insisted). I drained them...but not quite well enough. It turned out a bit too juicy, but the flavor was good. I also used Coconut sugar and oatmeal in the topping and coconut oil in place of butter.....

Now, when Hubby was ready to put the turkey on after brining, he rinsed it very well, dried really, really well, and then it had to "air dry" for 30 minutes before going onto the BBQ.
Then, he stuffed it with chopped onion, lemon rind, fresh thyme, fresh sage and garlic....
And then off it went....for two hours....
Now this is where I failed you....I didn't get pictures, because I was too busy being hostess to guests that I didn't know til the last minute were coming....
I am sorry.
His turkey turned out perfect! It was classic roasted turkey color, classic smoked turkey color inside and and the flavor....oh my gosh! Everyone ate and raved....only the carcass remained (which will be turkey soup tonight)...
Amazing! In fact, we all agreed he needs to cook turkey from now on....
Afterall, there are always plenty of food to fill in the gaps, so we can put up with a smaller turkey....
What else did we have?
Ah, we had a fresh fruit salad....
Fresh steamed artichokes....
A loaf of french bread....
A baked potato bar (huge potatoes)

and of course the crisp for dessert....oh and
huge chocolate dipped strawberries and pineapple....
coffee for those who wanted it....
Yes, we had a lovely Easter...
How was yours??
Nancy

2 comments:

Barbara Lilian said...

The Turkey sounds like it was a great success. I'm a bit like you with photos start off with good intentions, sometimes I have whipped a plate from the table to catch the moment, oh it was mine so I didn't upset any guest. My Easter was very quiet resting after my treatment in hospital.

NanaDiana said...

Your food sounds delicious. Brining a turkey really does make a difference, doesn't it? Glad you had a great Easter. Now I am hungry for FRESH peaches! lol xo Diana