Monday, March 3, 2014

The night before....

At this moment I am sitting at the dining table, my "spot" for doing blogging etc, completely surrounded by paint chips.
The painter comes tomorrow to start getting the house ready to paint. We have cleared what we can away from the house and I realized I hadn't gotten the paint out. Duhhhh
So, I got the paint out of the cupboard and a brush and decided I should double check to be sure this looks good outside. So, I painted a little  a 4"x6" splotch on several different walls...uh oh. I had that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. This is not like the sample I painted on the sample board. It is too beige. Almost pinky beige. No Way! Afterall, this is the same taupey color I painted in the livingroom....I love this color! But, outside, it is....beige....
I asked my Hubby, "...uh yeah, I see gray...."
I painted the accent color next to it....ewwwwy!
the two colors looked nice on sample boards next to the house, but painted directly on the house next to each other.....nope, not happening!
Off to the hardware store for more chips....
Then, I texted our painter....he answered right away....yes, he will bring the paint deck....he is great. He understands color.....
So, that all being said....here is the house today...


And then the backyard...


It has been a Swiss coffee sort of white/cream color for 23 years....It was time for a change.
The first time we painted I was so "freaked" out. Painting is a commitment in money and time and its for at least 10 years (well if its is done right). I want a touch of color, nothing gigantic..not too dark, but color. I have been looking for a taupey gray. Many grays out there are cold....they have blue or even lavender in them. Then there are the beige grays....some are with touches of pink....ewwwww.
So, we will see, what we choose, because it isn't going to be the color from the livingroom....
At the moment I like  Revere pewter from Benjamin Moore...so the painter will get a sample of that....
We will see. I have spent hours online looking at colors and going to see what I saw in person, many are just too dark.
The problem I have is that the house next door is gray....the talk of the street lovely gray. The house across the street is a battleship gray, and the house on the corner across from the one next door is a soft cement gray...so, if I must have gray, it must have more "beige" in it, a greige. But it just can't be beige...
Anyone else have this quandary??
Well, I would love input from my readers....
Nancy

2 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Oh- What a job it is to pick a color for an exterior. It is the hardest choices I have to make- picking colors that I know are going to last "forever". lol

BTW, Thank you for finding me and leaving a comment. I am your newest follower and looking forward to visiting you now that I found you...or you found me!;>) xo Diana

NanaNor's said...

Hi, I remember picking house colors-both the exterior and interior. What looked good on a sample would change in the different light or next to another object. We just learned to buy samples of the paint color and try them each on different areas to see what would happen.
Best of luck!
Noreen