Sunday, March 30, 2014

Sideyard doings...

While Hubby was building his gutter system for the rain barrel, I planted a mini herb garden in the old window box. It fit so nicely between the two tree pots, it was just too good to pass by or throw away!
So, tucked neatly with little screws to hold it in place, I planted it with a lovely assortment of herbs....

I bought two plants, one an oregano the other a mint...the rest are seeds, which I hope will give us an endless supply of herbs during the summer....
While I was planting, the bluebirds kept me company only a few feet away eating in the little bird feeder I made for them out of an old hanging basket and a clay drip tray....
See my potting bench off to the side?? It is completely built of scraps, mainly old shutters and a window that I reverse painted with a landscape...
This side-yard is my little get away spot....
It is also the orchard! I grow 5 fruit trees, three that have been espaliered by me and two are colonnade apples. There are also berries. All are growing in a narrow little patch that is about 18 inches deep between the path and the wall between houses. The trees that are espaliered are growing in pots to keep them small and also because you can't dig a big enough hole to plant them and they would damage the wall.
Well, time for bed....
Have a great evening...
Nancy

2 comments:

NanaDiana said...

What a nice little spot to have there- your own little retreat. I love it! xo Diana

Barbara Lilian said...

Look forward to seeing your herbs grow. hope the mint doesn't take over. I now keep mine in a separate pot, I've learnt the hard way, it took over the whole of my herb bed, even though I thought I'd been clever and pushed slate tiles in all around the roots. Love your potting bench.