Sunday, March 16, 2014

Saturday was for gardening

Yesterday was a gloriously beautiful day, and Hubby wanted to play with me in the garden!
We went to Roger's Gardens in Newport Beach and bought tomatoes and a rare looking salvia and two white digitalis' (foxglove) and a digitalis that was from Annie's Annuals that looked like a white with spilled raspberry jam....
We indeed had fun....
Then we came home and planted, all day long!
Hubby has a box he built about 5 years ago. He likes to completely empty it and start with fresh soil....So, he dug it all out and took it to the veggie garden to replenish my boxes there.

Here are the tomatoes he chose....
He planted cherry varieties....a Sungold, and Isis Candy and a Husky gold....Just three plants. Using a pot that was free I planted a Reika...a new variety for us that is a determinate variety of tomato.
We also planted the plants we got from Roger's in front...the garden out front is beginning to look wonderful....

 This is that salvia I told you about....the flowers are really different and the plant will be about 3-4' tall...

Here is a picture of the rose in the driveway...Black Cherry...
And the little peach that I moved last year is very happy...


And this was dinner after a long day of gardening...a vegetarian dinner of rice pasta with kale pesto and  sauteed mushrooms, peppers, onion, kale and sun dried tomatoes. The kale, onions and parsley came from our raised beds...peppers and mushrooms came from the store...
I made kale pesto and have to say I like it better than basil pesto! Hubby said he liked it better too! It is sweeter and softer (for lack of better words)...basil can have a bite....
I also decided that I might make more of it with kale I want to harvest...I would be a great way to freeze kale in ice cube trays and save it for later, especially since kale is almost done in the garden....
Well, I am off to the market and to do the laundry...
Have a great day!
Nancy

3 comments:

Junkchiccottage said...

Nancy,
Your garden is looking so great. Ahhhhh to be able to garden. I hope my garden in the Chicagoland area will happen this year soon. We have just had such a long harsh winter here. The dinner looked so yummy too.
Kris

NanaNor's said...

Hi Nancy, I love hearing about your garden! All your beds look great-I remember how nice it was to garden in winter in Ca. I'd love for you to post your Kale pesto recipe-I use it so much to juice with and in salads. It is so healthy for our livers.
Have a great evening.
Hugs,
Noreen

Kelly said...

Your flowers are all so pretty and it sounds like you're able to grow a nice vegetable garden already. Your meal looked good! I'm looking forward to planting our raised garden in the near future.