Monday, March 24, 2014

One of Those Lightbulb Moments....that takes all day....

Aha!
There it was, in the Lowe's Creative Ideas magazine, the perfect solution to the towel bar dilemma!
Use galvanized pipe!

If you aren't familiar with the magazine, go to their website and sign up. It is a fun and full of ideas magazine, designed for people and those "Aha" moments....
Anyway....this was the picture that did it for me....

Yup, funny, huh? This picture made me think of towel bars....so the rest is history.
Now, the finishes they show, they describe how to get them, I wanted #1....but I didn't want to buy a can of spray paint that put texture on first (lazy!) and besides I had chalk paint....
So, off to the hardware store (Home Depot) I went.....


Now, I have to admit, Home Depot is way closer than Lowe's, and Ace even closer still.......
I did measure...sort of...and had to go back to Home Depot not having accounted for the raised screw covers on the island and the size of the "floor flanges" themselves (that's the flat round thing with screw holes).....
So, take my word for it....measure "floor flanges" and then the space....
I bought two "floor flanges", two 1 1/2" "nipples" and two "elbows" and one large "nipple", (which is the long piece that would hold the towel).
Now, originally I thought 12""nipple" would work and returned that for a 10"one, which was still wrong.
 I ended up going to Ace to see what sizes they had....they even had half sizes! What I ended up getting was a 7". That fit the space.
It works best if you "dry fit" the item to see how it goes....
Then, when I knew it would fit, I started painting.....


But here was another mistake.....I should have washed the whole thing with TSP, because there apparently is a ton of machine oil....So when one goes to wax the finally dry (took way too long), the wax and paint pretty much comes off.....

Then I went to put my new towel bar on.....
Pre-drilling might have made it work just a touch better....it was hard to make screws go in straight when the pipe is in the way....just sayin.....
When the screws were in, which were brass colored....I touched up where paint came off with more of the paint...see...cleaning the pipe would have made this less of an issue.
But here it is....

What would I do differently?
Measure better to lessen trips to the hardware store. (Because tomorrow I have to go to two hardware stores and return the wrong pieces).
Clean the pipes before painting, the wiping off I did wasn't enough.
I might have used a slightly smaller diameter pipe (this was 1/2").
I might also have used a smaller "nipple" that joined the "flange" with the "elbow"....there was one called a "street elbow" that was kind of a piece with a "nipple" built in and there was also one "nipple" called a "close"...So, figure how far you want it to stick out.....
Other than that, it is nice to have a place to put a towel where we really need it!
While waiting for paint to dry, I managed to do laundry, change the bed, and dust the living room and then I played with hexagons that I cut yesterday.
At the end of the day, I can say I was productive....
I wanted a touch somewhere of an "industrial" thing...It is a bit rustic and a bit industrial....
Try to get a copy of the Lowe's Creative Ideas Magazine (no, I am not being paid to mention it) it is kinda cool.....
Meanwhile, the dogs were totally bored, and really need to go on a walk....

Have a great evening....
Nancy

3 comments:

NanaDiana said...

That turned out great, Nancy. I think it looks just fine! xo Diana

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Wow..that looks fantastic...and I love those Creative magazines!!!..

Robin said...

I love this!!! And I love seeing your creative process...lovely and inspiring blog my friend xo