Monday, March 10, 2014

Odds 'n Ends

Today, I wanted to show you just a few things....
One of the things that was a problem when the guys were painting, was the insistent birds that wanted to nest... The guys had had to work really hard to fix wood in the corner that the birds had chipped out with their beaks as well as their messes. So, with paint finished is was frustrating that they wanted back in.
Now, anyone who knows me would be shocked that I was driving away birds. I love them and for years enjoyed their nesting. However, when we have paid such a large amount to make the house fresh and clean, I am now taking issue with it.  So, the guys found a brick that they broke with a chisel and painted to match the house color and placed it in that corner....
Pretty sweet....
Then yesterday, the birds changed their focus on the second area for building a nest, right outside the front door. I don't want bird droppings right by the front door.....so, I came up with my own plan, not being able to chip a brick in half...
It is a small clay bunny! Just in time for Easter! I must say the birds are quite distraught! But really, I have provided birdhouses all over the yard and bushes to boot! Hubby is rethinking his speakers that we took down...those were another nesting area that was in demand. The speakers are now in bad shape and the painters had an awful time fixing that area too.....

The other thing I wanted to show you was our rain barrel...now in place and filled.
We tried to siphon the water from the garbage can to the rain barrel, but the rain barrel is now higher, so we ended up siphoning into a bucket and pouring it in....not exactly something we want to do all the time....but for now it worked. We plan on putting in a special gutter system just here, but that is on the list....
 Tucker is drinking from his own private bucket filled with fresh clean water, not water from the rain barrel.


See the water comes out pretty great! 
Our temperature yesterday was in the high 80s, almost 90....it doesn't bode well for summer and a lack of water. I hope we get at least one more rainstorm before summer....
I also worked the front garden bed a bit. I dug out quite a bit of the adobe that was filled with crabgrass and refilled with MiracleGro with moisture control. Then I planted two black eyed susans that I saved from last year, replanted some of the irises, and planted two "Coconut Ice" English lavenders, and two Shasta daisies (a different flower petal type).....



See the gravel in the background? We put in all the trenches the guys dug to fix the stucco (some were 6" deep) on the house (most the perimeter). So now, wherever dirt touched the house, it is now gravel. It allows the stucco to breathe and keeps the adobe from wicking moisture back up and wrecking the stucco, fairly inexpensive insurance to protect the job....
Another thing, the painter used a product by Zinsser that is a paint additive that repels water and dirt from the paint! Very cool...it also helps prevent mildew, which we saw happening before. It is a cool product, so ask your painter for it!
Ok, so that is it for the odd n ends...I am off to take some Advil after digging and pulling....
Have a great day!
Nancy

4 comments:

Barbara Lilian said...

I know exactly what you mean. when those little blighters come back each year to build their nest, we have the same problem. Brilliant idea of yours to tempt them to use the nest boxes. Enjoy your planting, sounds like a nice mix, show us later how they're progressing. My spring bulbs are beginning to bloom now but the tulips will be late this year, as I forgot to plant them at the given time, so hope they will bloom.

dee -@ The Old Fat Hen said...

Ahhh the birds.They sit on our fan under the veranda and poo over everything I don't know what to do.i feel your pain ha ha -love dee x

Trisha said...

Great idea with the little bunny up there! I am afraid of birds so there is no way I would want them by my front door either! :) Have a great day!

~Trisha

deb @ frugal little bungalow said...

I am enjoying seeing your GREEN :)

It's cold here / no spring yet

Thanks for your nice comment on my blog about my applique but I'll tell you truthfully that I did a wee bit years ago and that was all. Just started back this year and am quite the beginner ! It's touch and go, trial and error for me! :)