Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Keeping busy

I started my day yesterday, like any other day.
I get off and running......
I headed to the craft room determined to finish the quilt top I have been working on, which is made of fabric panels that I inherited. But, when put together, they weren't square, so I ripped, re-stitiched, and found they needed trimming, then I stitiched and they still didn't work. Needless to say, I grew frustrated. I decided to put the pile away and "change the channel" and took off to do a few little errands...and on the way home ended up at JoAnn's fabric store. Well, I got a bit frustrated there too. They didn't have sewing machine needles.... and it appeared that fabric was low too. However, all was not lost. I did find some darling St. Paddy's day fabric at 50% off that tickled my fancy. So, I grabbed a yard and a half. I had decided the day before that I wanted to make a table runner for our yearly feast....so, here is what I created.

Of course, the binding isn't finished here....
I just wanted to practice my machine quilting and loved the print, so I used batting remnants and put the fabric together for a cute runner. It will be fun use next year!
Then, when I finished this, I realized I needed to plan dinner...and in keeping with my new Dr's request to lean toward a vegan diet, I pulled out my vegetarian cookbook....
Yup, vegetarian....not vegan, however, it has the ability to stimulate my mind to use what we have....
So, I started by going out to the garden and picked favas....
So, I came up with our meal of sauteed onions, mushrooms, and eggplant and in another pot I cooked the favas enough for them to give up their outer shells....
In another pot, I cooked some celery root and the older favas. I went to the freezer and pulled out a bag of frozen tomatoes from last years crop....and when they were a bit defrosted, I blended them with the cooked celery root and favas, adding seasonings as well, along with some kale.
When the blender puree was ready, it was added to the mushroom mix....
While that simmered, I cooked some quinoa.
If you haven't tried quinoa, you should! It is light and yummy. I prefer the blends, not just the white variety. There is more flavor to the blends. Quinoa is a high protein grain that can be used to replace other grains such as rice or in place of potatoes. It cooks faster than rice and gives you variety!
So, dinner was indeed vegan.....
It may not look wonderful, but it was quite surprising...it was yummy.....even Hubby, who looked at it with question in his eyes said, "oh, this is good...."
Yeah, it is difficult to retrain all the years of eating....but it is healthier to eat vegan more often....
Why are we eating my vegan?
Well, 10 years ago I was diagnosed with RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis)....
I was put on Plaquenil for all that time...for ten years.
It requires a patient to see an eye doctor frequently as Plaquenil can make one go blind.....
A few months ago, the eye doctor said he was very concerned by my being on it for so long, it worried him....My rheumatologist didn't see any problem....but I started thinking about looking elsewhere.
I now have an Internist who approaches things differently, and starts with diet and supplements.
I think it is worth changing the way I eat than go blind.....
So, I am Plaquenil free, losing weight, exercising and in the long run better off. Afterall, my last blood test showed absolutely no sign of RA. He thinks possibly I may have not needed Plaquenil at all, that it was an anomaly that caused a problem...ie, super stress and allergies to foods that I didn't know I have!
So, that is why more veggies, no dairy, less meat and more supplements....
Anyway, not to get bogged down...just wanted to share.
Do you have some great vegetarian/vegan recipes?? I would love to hear from you!
Have a great day....
Nancy

1 comment:

melissa@joyineveryseason said...

I love that runner! the black background makes that vibrant green pop so beautifully. also: those beans look absolutely delicious ... thank you, i needed garden inspiration!