Saturday, March 15, 2014

Keeping busy

Yesterday, I was busy.....
I redid the patches on the lawn where I had finally killed the oxalis. I had to dig and chop to get the mats of it out. I know I didn't get all of it, but at least in those areas, the grass has a chance. Because, after all, the lawn is really just glorified crabgrass that is green.....So, now I will have patches of grass in the crabgrass (LOL).
After I did that I did laundry and a few odds and ends around the house, we went to Costco.....ending up in the evening painting one of the frames I have picked up at thrift stores.
I love frames like this, much like I love chairs, china, books....
So, I brought in the drop cloth, threw it over the table and started.
Sorry, I didn't get a before picture...


I painted it with ASCP French Linen (my favorite), then used the wax to finish it off. The raised areas look so great when I put the dark wax on.....
But where to put it?? hummmm. I wandered about the house trying to find the best spot....
I am one for putting frames up on walls as art in themselves, or for framing an already framed piece...it is cool....
So, this is where it ended up...right here in the dining room...Hubby said it was really neat....
Sorry it is dark and I tilted the camera....but it makes the small frame bigger and more prominent.
Then, as I was tidying up after making a mess....I was going to throw away trash, including this apple container from Costco.

 Hubby, said, "Wait! That would be perfect for ornaments!"
Isn't he great? Smart! It is indeed! And, it was free with the apples! So, just a thought for you my readers, if you go to Costco or other warehouse places that have apples in these containers (or other fruit), think about reusing them....good for you and the environment....
Speaking of the environment....
We have told the gardener that he may no longer use the blower in our yard.
Now, honestly, it isn't for the environment though. We did it because for years he would blow the stuff he was blowing into the house (not away). So, the outside became dirty. I got tired of the dust and dirt on window sills inside and out.....not to mention that we just painted the house. After all, it will get dirty on its own, with no help, but his blowing stuff up to the house was driving us crazy! In getting ready for the painter, it was evident where he had just blown leaves up against corners, in the name of clearing a path. Seriously, the blowers just move the leaves from one spot to another!
So, we are starting a trend. "No mas Soplador"....
I even made a sign last night (while I had paint out).....
Blowers are noisy, use gas  and really do little to clean up. Our gardener is now using a broom or rake in our yard (he uses his blower next door). Hopefully, this sign will help remind him from week to week. Did our house stay cleaner? YUP!
Have a lovely weekend!
Nancy

1 comment:

NanaDiana said...

Love your new ornate frame. It works perfectly there.
That was a smart decision on the lawn blower. They do make messes sometimes...even worse than the mess they "clean up". xo Diana