Saturday, March 29, 2014

An Adventure begins....

Every now and then, I take on a bit of a challenge.
I had ordered a book on sewing and using hexagons......
Then I went online and looked into different ways of handling hexagons. There are truly many approaches, other than the old fashioned way of hand sewing them....
I had ordered a hexagon die for my Accuquilt, "this will be fun!", I told my Hubby...he just looked at me with doubt.....
I had also ordered the "setting point" triangle cutter too....because it was recommended by the die cutter company...
Well....they are indeed different from other quilt pieces, because of their shape.
One method that I saw online was to sew chains then use a "feather stitch to piece, much like a crazy quilt. It looked interesting, and fun....
Well, I have the table runner part done....well, sort of. Truth is, the finishing is kind of eluding me....
I will have to play more with this, and will let you know what I come up with.
Here is what I have.....



So, what experience have my readers had?? I would love more ideas....the goal for me is someday to make a Grandmother's quilt.....
Send me pictures and tell me your stories.....
Nancy

3 comments:

Divine Theatre said...

I love it! I have no experience, nor do I have the patience to do this.
A Grandmother's quilt is a lovely idea.

xo

Andie

NanaDiana said...

My mother loved piecing hexagons. I have never tried it myself but I know it is pretty difficult. It looks great though- xo Diana

Barbara Lilian said...

I'm happy to know you're having fun as you say playing with the hexagons you've made. I have hundreds I've made stashed away in a cupboard, each time I look in the bag I'm hoping some little fairy has been & stitched them all together into a quilt. I have bags of some I've stitched into flowers, I did cut some in half to make a straight edge. I'm not really a successful patch worker. I made them when we first moved to France & had visions of all the beds with a patchwork quilt on them. I did finish one quilt which I gave to my daughter, but that was large squares. So I wish you luck with your quilts.