Monday, February 3, 2014

Super Bowl of quilting!

I spent the entire Sunday (except for 20 mins to walk dogs) quilting.
I was quilting for 12 hours....
I wanted to finish my quilt....
I had already finished the squares as I have shown you, but the quilt had blank squares that were going to have a feather wreath and the borders with a stencil also. Those are big, big endeavors for what I consider an intermediate quilter.....
But, one doesn't progress in their skills if they don't reach a bit...

I have become a machine quilter, with my home sewing machine, one because of arthritis but also because honestly, I am impatient to see it finished!
Surprisingly, though the middle wreaths were difficult, because of the bulk of the quilt, the wreaths actually went faster than anticipated. It is much like a game on Lumosity, you figure where to go in and how to go around and not stop until that wreath is done. There supposedly is a rule in machine quilting, to not cross threads while quilting....well, mostly I pulled it off, though sometimes, it happens; such as when a dog decides to get under the quilt while you are sewing or sits on it.....
Anyway, all 30 wreaths were done....
Then, there were the borders......
Although I praticed the border motif on separate material (quilted even) this was hard. The motif requires the line of thread to start at one end go to the other and return 5 times....easier said than done with a home sewing machine. I do not have a long arm quilter that moves the needle through the fabric instead of me moving the fabric through the machine. I did mess up, frequently in fact, in part to dogs "helping" but also because the marker would disappear...literally! I used 4 different marking techiniques, the one that worked best, was chalk, but one has to be careful that the chalk doesn't get brushed off!
So, though it is not perfect, I think it is beautiful.....
It is draped in the chair to dry, as the blue ink to mark the wreaths will disappear when wet....
Of course, the chalk will eventually disappear....
It measures 67" x 76". Cozy quilt...
What do you think??
Have you made a quilt? Do you machine quilt or hand quilt?
Nancy

1 comment:

deb @ frugal little bungalow said...

Oh how wonderful this looks!

I hand quilt for the most part though I did some machine quilting on one or two blocks on my last quilt which was a couch quilt for my son and kids...and I've done machine quilting on pillow tops.