Sunday, January 12, 2014

Designing Sunday

For my birthday everyone got together and got me Accuquilt cutters....that much I told you. I think I mentioned that along with the cutters they gave me fabric and a suggestion of what they thought would be good....
Now, I am not so great at being told what color, what fabric, what pattern etc when it comes to quilting. In fact, I am so stubborn about it that I will make mistakes and learn from them rather than take a directive. Anyone else like that?? Probably because of a Home Economics class I had and then a quilting class here and there. My neighbor was the best guide I ever had. Her favorite quote, "there is no quilting police here...."
Well, thankfully, Hubby gave me other cutters, so I could put it together...my way....
The applique cutters required a 6 1/2" cutter...and since squares are just so boring after a while, I wanted the matching triangles... Yeah, I know, spoiled rotten. Yup I am.
So, it was a task, to do what they suggested and make it fun....
I worked and in the morning I realized that the triangles I used at the ends on the top were pulling the fabric so it was rounding the whole thing. So, I ripped it all out and started again. I was off by 1/2'', that is huge....which meant new border pieces that I also had to fix....so, all day I worked on it, again. It isn't a big quilt. Good thing. Big would have made me cry. This was just a challenge.....
So, here is the little quilt.....




It actually turned out very cute....
I also learned (two years later) that when using the open toe foot for quilting on my machine, there is a button to push that makes life just a little easier.....funny, I took a class about my machine and asked this...they didn't know and I still had to find out myself!
Anyway, how was your Sunday??
Take care,
Nancy

No comments: