Monday, January 6, 2014

Christmas present and quilting

For my Christmas present, I wanted an Accuquilt Go, so Hubby got me one. And, since my birthday is on the heels of Christmas (Jan. 3), I asked for more Accuquilt die cutters. hummmmmmm
For those of you not familiar with what it is, it is a die cutter for fabric. It makes perfect cuts! Therefore, when you start quilting, you start with a square that is really square!It makes piecing a joy and much faster. You can cut several (up to 6 or 8 layers) at a time. For serious quilters or even beginners, it can be addictive. Imagine perfect applique figures or perfect shape pieces for piecing....yeah...addictive.
My darling husband and daughters got together on their planning and bought me so many dies that I should be busy for the next 20 years!

Here is a picture of me playing with scraps and cutting up fabric using the original die cutter it came with.....
All through Christmas time, I was wanting a red and white quilt to be able to throw over the couch in the livingroom, for that festive spirit and coziness. So, with the Accuquilt, I set about making one! I can't tell you how exciting it is. I cut all the pieces, including binding and borders (another die cutter) and then it literally just goes together. Errors are from slippage while sewing or the fact that my 1/4" foot relies on me keeping close eye....all in all, I very, very pleased.


This quilt isn't done yet, what is in the picture is half the quilt.....
At the moment, I am playing with borders, because well, it is fun again to piece a quilt! I will show you a picture when I am done.....
The main body of the quilt is 20 10" squares that are bordered by 2 1/1" strips and red set point squares. I then added (not shown) white strips to make a border and then I got to thinking. So, when I am done, I will show you.
Did I tell you I am excited?? This thing cuts scraps. It cuts and wastes less than I can and makes short work of it. It is not electric, just an old fashioned crank, that runs both ways.
Well, I am off to work on it some more....
Have a great day....
Nancy

2 comments:

Barbara Lilian said...

I can see how excited you are. I started doing patchwork years ago. I joined a group mainly to make friends. I still have loads of pieces of material cut in shapes and unfinished items. I'm sure if I had the tool you have just received I might have continued, as each time I joined one piece to another they were never exactly the same size. Please let us see this red & white quilt when it's finished,

chateau chic said...

You're going to have a beautiful quilt when you're done! What a great helpful tool.
Mary Alice