Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Many projects

Our internet has been somewhat on the fritz. It would be come and go like a breeze and was unreliable. It actually still is, but seems to be working for now. So, finally I can show you some of the things we've been up to.
First, I wanted to show you my Ebay coup!
I found oil rubbed bronze lever handlesets for a very affordable price! Even with the shipping I finally could afford to order the six privacy sets I needed, so all the doors match. Not only that but my hands have been so sore lately, it isn't a moment too soon. But, wonder of wonders, I was able to put them all on myself! YUp, even the two that had to be reversed. These handlesets were reversible and adjustable. Meaning, that I didn't have to know what size the door was, or anything ! I just followed directions for installation. The reversing of one was super easy, the other wasn't quite as easy, however, I was on the last door and my hands were quite sore!
So, we went from brass knobs to bronze levers. You can use your elbow to open a door!
Before.......
After......
We love them. We have wanted them for about ten years. Yes, ten years. But they have been so expensive! And you had to order right handed or left handed and know the size of the door and all that. It didn't make sense to spend so much. So, I watched Ebay. Finally, the same as the bathroom door that we did over a year ago! They came at $7.99 each. Yup. Gotta love Ebay! And shipping was nominal....
We also have been busy "winterizing". Well, our version in So. Calif. We put in a new furnace filter and hung the winter drapes everywhere but the Master. I want to get the carpet cleaned first.
We had our first rain and with that we have our French Onion Soup in the living room. It is a tradition we started way back when the girls were so little. It stuck, even now when they are gone.
This year, when I made it I used Cognac instead of wine. And not a huge amount either, only about 1/8 of a cup. It was the best by far that I have made! It adds a richness and nutty flavor that is amazing. Thanks Ina, great suggestion!
Here it is in the pot....
I also used a really good Gruyere cheese, that is better than Swiss really.
And served with a fresh toasted  baguette...
So, that kind of catches you up on what we have been up to since the internet has been....well, frustrating. Hopefully, we will continue to have it work....
Hope you have a good day...
Nancy

2 comments:

Barbara Lilian said...

I love your new door handles, the style is very similar to the ones we have, only ours have a back plate. I know exactly how you feel about poor or NO internet connection. Where I live in rural France our house is on it's own in a hollow & we can't receive the broadband signal, we have to have satellite, and depending on the weather our signal is poor, it's very frustrating when you have a business to run. But I love where I live so have to put up with it.

dee -@ The Old Fat Hen said...

I have been looking for handles like that myself they are lovely -maybe one day -love dee x