Sunday, September 22, 2013

Pioneer Apple Butter

Pioneer Apple Butter, pictures of hot steaming kettles on a wood fire range race across the mind. It's true. This recipe was given to me from a sweet lady, Mrs. Crumb, who at the time was an amazing 87 year old lady. I had told her about an Apple butter recipe that I had tried and she scoffed at it. Then proceeded to tell me the true apple butter recipe she learned when she was about 12. It has stood the test of time.
Of course over the many years I have done the recipe I haven't changed it. It did indeed take hours of watching and stirring and cooking. Yesterday, I tried something I saw on a blog, doing the apple butter in a crock pot! I really don't know why I didn't think of doing this, but life just got easier, and I will over time be able to perfect the recipe with a crock pot....but I am happy to report, it works!
It doesn't look like much from here, but trust me, your house will smell wonderful for hours and hours!
Then, when it has gotten a wonderful yummy brown soft mush, (about the color of cinnamon), I ran it through a food mill. This food mill I ordered last year from Amazon, it is stainless steel and is made in Italy. Italians know how to make food mills! Easy, efficient and dishwasher safe, it is perfect for this job!
Now, it is actually ready here, but I like a super smooth consistency, so I go one more.....I run it through my blender to get it that smooth, spreadable, apple yumminess that is oh good.....
And this is the final result....a quart and two pints worth of apple goodness....hummm, I am thinking it would be good on some french toast.....
Have a great day!
Nancy

No comments: