Saturday, September 21, 2013

Harvesting Fall

Yesterday, my brother was coming for a visit and it was clearly Fall. On top of it, the apples were more than ready to be picked. So, what is a suburban "farmer" to do? Make pie and apple butter!
Our apples were mostly kinda small, though we had so beauties. So, my daughter and I washed and chopped. The best went into the pie and the smaller ones were chopped and thrown into our crock-pot.





But oh the pie! We have a fondness for dutch apple pie with its crumbly buttery, full of cinnamon topping! And then, it was done and cooling by the time everyone came together for dinner.....
Meanwhile, all night on low, the apple butter cooked. I need to run it through a food mill, and then it too will be ready....
Hope you have a great day!
Nancy

1 comment:

dee -@ The Old Fat Hen said...

wow love it.i used to make apple pies all the time I havnt for awhile until now-love dee x