Friday, September 13, 2013

Fall Planting

It is definitely Fall.
We woke up to a cool mist fog this morning, and it triggered the need to plant Fall crops in my raised beds.
The first two raised beds are mostly clear and got fresh soil and compost last week. The first box still has an eggplant, that with the heat we had, has been blooming and is growing a fruit....
So, in the first box we planted lettuce and onions that were started from seed. Oh, and we "cheated" and bought the started plants from Roger's Gardens. I had a gift certificate there, so why not?

I chose a delightful six pack of mixed lettuces, and then set an onion in between each, in hopes that it keeps some bugs away.....
I did the same in the second box with kale.....
It looks like we will have lots of creole red onions....
The second box still has the king bean growing, and tomorrow I plan to harvest....it looks like its time is coming, with lots of leaves starting to fall, and it shows signs of fatiguing....
Over in the pot next to the house, my elderberry that I started from a cutting in the spring has some berries for me and I wanted to show them to you....
They are such pretty berries, but not very many per branchlet. At least there are a few. Hopefully soon I will have enough to do something with them. I have been collecting them up into ziplocs and putting them in the freezer.....
So, this weekend I plan to get caught up on some big gardening things that need to be done, weeding etc. I will try to collect some pictures for you.
I hope you have great weekend plans.
Nancy

No comments: