Sunday, August 11, 2013

Assimilating the stuff

Since my Hubby's Father passed away, just a month ago, we have been working hard and at a ferocious rate to get his condo cleared out. We started taking out clothes, china, and household items that were not wanted, before our official 30 days began. Great for us....but difficult. His condo was what is known as a "life estate", a fancy name for a long term lease. Once the occupant passes, it goes back to the seller for resale.
There hasn't been much time for grief processes, only moving, moving, moving.
Now, we see a light at the end of this tunnel. Although, we are far from being done.....
We have one goal in mind, get it all done, with no storage unit included.
His Dad moved 9 years ago into this 1,900 sq ft. condo from a 4,000 sq ft. house. He never got rid of anything, so it has all been in his condo or a garage storage below his unit or in a huge storage unit off site....
At least, we are almost done with the condo....
Unfortunately, most of the furniture is not able to be assimilated into ours or our daughters homes...they have stuff, we have stuff. So, much is going to an off-site estate sale, run by a company that does much of this same kind of thing. They even get rid of bed mattresses and old TVs.
After today, our week is filled with different groups coming and going.
Tomorrow the huge Grandfather clock, from many generations ago will go with a reputable clock company to be "restored" and then afterwards delivered to our home at a later time. That clock has such presence, we actually have moved things around prior to its arrival here, because I was able to get my daughter's help. So, a decision, made by measuring, was that the dresser in the dining room would go to the livingroom and the hutch there would come to the dining room. You see, the clock will reside in the livingroom. So, when it gets here later, I will show you this impressive clock.....
In the meantime, the hutch has moved and we rather like the look....



The effort to "assimilate" and incorporate and feel things are tidy, has been daunting. One moves stuff from one place to another, then one has to make it fit seamlessly, into one's life. So much for trying to simplify!
Before his Dad got sick, we were talking about "simplifying" our lives, cleaning out cupboards, paring things down a bit...
Well, some of that is continuing....I got the guest room, though stuffed to the gills with stuff, pared down a bit and useable.
The craft room is next. I am being hard core here, getting rid of things I know I will not use, ever. I will show you that when I am done.
And I have begun in the garden. It is that season in the garden when it looks more than bedraggled...so, the cleaning out continues there. Digging, pulling and chopping is good therapy....
I cleaned out on the back next to the house.
; the jasmine was 15 years old and had gotten ugly...so out it came as well as an ivy geranium by the back door that reached everywhere but up.....so out it came too.

I left the trellises in place as architectural interest, and potted an elderberry plant for the place where the jasmine used to be. Now, it feels a bit better. After the picture was taken, I chopped the hedge a bit to show the gardener how tall it is supposed to be. Perhaps, he will notice......
Since my back is more than mad at me right now, I am slowing down, a bit today....an Advil type of day.....Keep tabs on my site for updates....
Nancy

No comments: