Monday, July 8, 2013

Bread and Butter Pickles

It finally happened! I have been trying, most unsuccessfully, to raise enough cucumbers to make bread and butter pickles. I know, you are wondering what the big deal is. Well, I have always had to buy my cucumbers to pickle with. They just never really were successful, I would get one here and one there.
This year I purchased a Japanese cucumber plant that has cukes that are 10-12" long. However, what amazed me is this plant not only grows long cukes, but many. Yup, it finally happened.  Along with a couple of actual pickling cukes from another plant, I had enough to make bread and butter pickles!
There is nothing more satisfying than being able to go out, harvest a crop and turn it into something.


These cukes, are long and much more spiny than the other cukes I have grown, however, they are far more productive than any other variety I have tried for the last 23 years.
Here they are all cut, sliced, and in the pot. The recipe comes from the Ball canning book. I didn't have any pix of them in their salted and sitting stage.....
Here they are, 4 quarts of bread and butter pickles. No it isn't much, but to us, it is amazing and wonderful!
This is my new Weck canning jar. I have been wanting one for years, in fact some day I might. However, we didn't do a full "canning" on this project (hence the plastic white lids) because they just went into the fridge. These get eaten so fast with our family, it didn't make much sense to do a canning. So, we just cooled them and put them in the fridge.
Has anyone canned with Weck jars? I would love to hear about it.
Nancy

No comments: