Sunday, July 7, 2013

Almost Good As New

If you have been reading the blog, you know what happens when you spray Lysol on Oil Rubbed Bronze door handles. Yeah, not pretty. And, a very expensive mistake...or at least it can be.
Behold....(as a reminder)

It basically just takes the finish off!
So, I asked you readers what I should use to fix it, not wanting of course to take the set off and take it to a refinisher who would charge upwards of $300 to fix it.....
So, One wonderful reader mentioned, Rub n Buff.....
That was an "Ah ha" moment.....
Except that around here, Rub n Buff seems to only come in gold, brass and patina....not what I was looking for.......
So, I went online and happily I found, Rub n Buff comes in a multitude of colors! Now, they don't have Oil Rubbed Bronze (that's too easy), but they had Ebony (black) which most closely resembles our Bronze color, as it is the darker one.....
So, I experimented on an inside door handle that was very brassy....
And although I am not going to show you the picture, because it is not good enough, take it from me, it is possible to change the color of your doorknobs and handles with this stuff!
So, tentatively, I went to the front door and tried a bit on it.
Ta Da!!

Almost good as new! Well, almost....It isn't perfect, but it is so much better!
Cost? $4 with shipping! Yeah, and Amazon wanted $7 plus shipping! Yeah, so first don't do what I did and spray Lysol or other cleaning agents on good, expensive door sets...and second, if you did mess it up, check with Rub n Buff.....they have a variety of metal colors, you could fix it or change it.
Not bad.....
Have a great weekend, I am going to make Bread n Butter pickles with my daughter.
Nancy

1 comment:

Ramona said...

This just happened to me, too. I didn't realize what the Lysol did to the door handle until the next day. At first I, too, thought the finish had been taken off, but when I examined it I realized that it was just the Lysol chemicals sitting on top of my bronze-y door handle. I removed them with a mixture of 2 tbsp baking soda and enough lemon juice drizzled over to make a paste. It took some rubbing followed by 30 minutes of sitting, but it worked very, very well. After that I rinsed and rubbed gently with cold water using cotton swabs and paper towels. Once it had dried, there was a baking soda residue which I rinsed with clear warm water. No need to buy paint or spray or deal with fumes and it's still the same color as when we bought the house. :-)