Saturday, June 22, 2013

A Cautionary Tale

My Father-in-Law has been in the hospital for 10 days (so far) after a serious fall. He developed a severe bacterial infection while there. So, for those 10 days my husband has been going and staying to watch, advocate and visit.
Since it was an isolation set up, he had to "garb" up every time he was in the room...no mask, just the gown and the gloves.
But, because there was dangerous bacteria, we treated it carefully at home too. Hubby took off shoes in the front entry, which he later swapped with alcohol.....clothes went immediately into the washer and were washed and he showered with two different soaps.
Yesterday, I felt that surfaces had not been addressed correctly...so out came the Lysol......
Hummmm
We had been touching doorknobs......
So, I sprayed....

This is an inside picture of our lovely (and expensive) Baldwin lockset. Oil rubbed bronze of course.....
Then I sprayed outside too.....
 This was a very fast (seconds) reaction to the Lysol spray! It removed the finish instantly!
Ugly, ugly!! I tried everything I could think of to fix my stupid deed....but to no avail.
The can should say, "...Do NOT spray on fixtures such as doorknobs....".Yikes.
Now, if anyone knows what I can do to fix this, I would soooo appreciate it!
And, CAUTION: do not use Lysol spray on doorknobs, especially if they are oil rubbed bronze!
(I once sprayed it on a wood toilet seat.....it did a similar thing....)

Nancy

2 comments:

Jena {Involving Color and Home} said...

Oh no! That really stinks :(. I'm going to remember this and tell my mom too (she loves spraying Lysol on things!)

Ramona said...

This just happened to my door handle, too. However, when I examined it I found that it did NOT take the bronze-y finish off. The Lysol can be removed. A mixture of 2 tbsp baking soda with a bit of lemon juice made it look almost the same as ever again. I removed the dried-on baking soda remains afterward with several rinses of clear warm water.