Friday, May 10, 2013

Where I begin...

The task of getting new floors put in for much of the house is daunting. Thinking about it keeps me awake as I try to break down the time we have with the mountain of things that we need to move out....
So, I started today, moving books from the three bookcases that are in the family room. Even though I have pared the books down over the months of talking about floors and knowing this would be a task, there are lots and lots of books.
We decided that the books had to go into the garage, laid out where we could just take the pile in the end and put them back.
The bookcases are sitting on carpet, and the carpet is leaving. So, we need to move them. Behind the bookcases is the original white walls, they need paint too....oh my, how is it that one job creates another, and another?
So, I began.....
  I also cleared all the knickknacks that were on top of the bookcases and on the various shelves....


Then, I decided that the little cupboard next to the bookcases, (our vitamin cupboard), needed to come off as well, to make it easier for the installers....well, when I got it off, I decided it needed to be painted....so it got a two layer treatment of ASCP in French Linen and then a wash of Old White....and a new interior layer behind the screen as the fabric was looking a bit peeked....

So, the goal is to have all the books out by Mother's Day so I can get helpers to move the bookcases out. On Monday, I am hoping to start painting the wall behind the cases so everything is all fresh and clean. After that, I have the rest of the week and a half to clear other items from the areas....
If I do a little (or a lot) everyday, then I won't be taxing the old body so much...right?
Well, I would love to hear any hints that have made your jobs easier. Any tricks you know?
Happy Mother's Day!
Nancy

1 comment:

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

I'm working on changing things up around my house too. I think we both need tips. Looking good so far.