Thursday, May 9, 2013

An Itchy Matter

First, let me say, I am not being paid to tell you any of this. It is my own experience and I want to share what I have found.
Second, the adventure is not over, it is really just begun.....

What I wanted to share is something that may help you sleep better, and your dog....
Our dog, Belle, has been fighting itchy skin for well over a year. We checked both dogs for fleas, ticks and worms.
When Belle's skin broke out, the vet, our new vet that we think highly of, gave her antibiotics and steroids. At the time it seemed like problem solved. Until everything stopped. Then, it began anew.
The chewing. The licking. Keeping us up at night.
She was miserable, so were we.
We ordered Foster's and smith itch stop by the armload, for a topical relief....
Which did help, but they contain steroids and really we didn't feel that we were getting to the base of the problem....

When the second go round of steroids were administered, they helped but brought with them a whole list of other problems. Massive amounts of water were being drunken down by Belle, then of course many trips outside to go to the bathroom, at all hours I might add. There were also "leaks" during the night.....
Again she was miserable, and so were we.....
The vet had changed our food saying she was allergic....so we did...to a Sweet Potato and Venison food. That seemed to work for a while and we thought that it was good.....
But then.....another problem rose its head....she started scratching more, fur was falling out at an alarming rate, and black spots started to show under her arms and a few on her chest....
This is not right.

Well, we found what we think is the answer.....
I went to our pet supply store and talked with a knowledgeable guy....and he told me about
Nzymes.com....
He explained that given my info, that her immune system was probably out of sync, and yeast had gotten out of control...
This is a site that will help he explained....and he also told me to stop (over time of course) the present food and find one that didn't rely on carbs such as sweet potato, rice, potato or such (it feeds yeast)...and to change the protein....(I have to say we had also been giving carrots as treats)
So, we started switching (this takes a few days of slowly increasing the new food), to a fish based food. Yes, more expensive, but we were paying a great deal for vet visits....
In three days both dogs coats started to look and feel softer and shinier. And since we had noticed that Tucker was starting to look "shabby" as well, that was a sign that the food before wasn't right.
We also studied the Nzymes.com site. Now, just before hearing about this site, my Hubby purchased the Dinovite products, which will arrive today. The premise with these products is similar to the Nzymes products....
The Nzymes site recommended a lotion to help relieve itching without steroids and to help heal the skin. This is Dermagic....

It took a few days to get here, but I put it on right away.  I started to rub in and the look was nothing short of wonderful....she rolled her eyes in pure enjoyment...yup, and rolled over even more so I could put more on. It says to be generous, I was. It smelled wonderful.
That was the first evening that Belle relaxed in front of the TV. Usually, she goes and lies in front of the sliding door and chews her feet.
Last night she slept, and so did we.....
This morning I went to get the bottle and she rolled over right away....and then, so did Tucker, he wanted some too!!
Now, we are not "out of the woods" yet, but I think we are on to something....
The redness in her skin is better. The black seems less black and there is some nice pink skin showing (yes, in only twelve hours!)....
We will be starting the Dinovite today, it has me hoping that we can in a few months be past much of this.....
I wanted to share this with you so that your dog or other dogs may be helped.
It isn't all allergies...and if the scratching and chewing creates an infection, you need to see a vet.
But, if there is some relief from scratching and chewing from a lotion and a change of food, it is worth knowing and sharing. I didn't know that yeast out of control could do this....
By the way, we have had a blissful and quiet morning while I was typing this...no chewing, face rubbing or scratching.....
I will keep you appraised of how we are doing...
Nancy

No comments: