Saturday, April 27, 2013

Roses and Rust

Ah, the sweet smell of spring! Roses are blooming and birds are singing, what could be better?
But there is one problem that most of us gardeners experience at some point.....rust, black spot and other fungal problems....and not just in roses....
Here is a beautiful healthy rose....
And here is one with rust....

I have used everything.....and now I may have discovered a new secret weapon....
Yesterday, I sprayed with Neem Oil and treated the roots with Bayer 3-in-1. However, the Bayer is not organic and it is systemic, so I don't want to use that more than once or twice....So, I have been at wits end trying to find something that will help with fungal "yuckies"....
Yesterday, while strolling through the internet I came across something that might it the spot.....Aspirin!
As you know, we used aspirin on our tomatoes this year and the difference is astounding! Why not?
So, I dissolved two 325mg uncoated aspirins in water last night and this morning I sprayed it on the sickest of the roses....
It is supposed to help the rose's immune system to fight off the rust...so I will let you know.....
Who would've thought??
Nancy

No comments: