Saturday, April 6, 2013

Fava Fame

You have heard me talk about favas before, but they are amazing bean plants. Nutritious and versatile, the favas have lots of protein and flavor...and the plant is productive.
So, ours are in high gear this spring. From what I have read, they will only produce for a while longer and then their time will be over. So.....I have been collecting recipes.
First, what to do with all the beans I cannot eat. Afterall, variety is the spice of life....
My recipes so far have been lightly cooking them until their outer skin gives way so I can get to the inner yummy and beautiful bean inside. Then I add them to the dish I have in the pan...Yummy in pasta!

Freezing favas becomes important then too. So, I have read many different ideas, the main one being to boil them breifly and then plunge them in the cold water and then spread them on a cookie sheet, freeze and then put in a bag after freezing.....
This apparently helps get the outer skin off too....such a plus.
Has anyone heard of the method I saw in one cookbook, where she freezes the whole pod?? Then takes them out when needed?? Sounds good, but I am not sure....
Anyway, favas are on the menu......
Nancy

1 comment:

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

I like my favas with a nice Chianti. lol! (A line from the movie Silence of the lambs)but on a serious note, I do like the taste of fava beans and am envious of the fresh beans you have.