Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The white tornado

Ah, I am the white tornado, but it is not the cleaning kind I meant. For I am the sloppy and messy baker who leaves a wake of white flour all over the kitchen!
I pulled out a new recipe that I finally got to try as my sourdough starter had finally come of age.
I got the starter ready the night before, letting it warm up from a few days in the fridge.
And then the flour starts flying!
Soon, the counter and some of the floor show I am off and making bread, yet again.
I try to tidy as I go, but I never get totally caught up....
What a mess, I have to say, and I admit it....you use many cups, spoons, and bowls to make a loaf or two of sourdough bread....
But there it is at last, the dough that now needs to rest and double in size....
And rest and wait.....
and then......after it bakes....
there it is, sourdough bread!
It is light, fluffy and yummy. The sourdough starter is young still, much like young wine. It will strengthen in flavor over time, and become stronger.
This recipe called for using yeast and the starter, but next time I will find the recipe that relies solely on the goodness of the starter all by itself to make the bread rise and develop its depth of flavor.....
Have you tried making sourdough bread?
Nancy

1 comment:

Keeping It Cozy said...

How beautiful! I have never tried sourdough bread, but I would love to one day.