Monday, March 18, 2013

One of those weekends

We had one of those weekends. You know the kind.  We had company on Saturday and Sunday.
Lots of trips to the market for food, then you forgot something and you have to go back.
Lots of planning, and organizing and cleaning....
But it was worth it.
Saturday, a dear friend came from Palmdale (a three hour drive) that we haven't seen in over a year. She came for lunch. So, with simplicity in mind, I set up a "sandwich bar", so everyone could make their own sandwich, since there were so many "I can't eat that, and don't like this" requests...
Here is what I came up with.....

I put out trays of meats, cheeses, hummus, condiments, and a homemade three bean salad, paired up with homemade sourdough bread and let everyone make their own. We had ice tea, water and coffee available.
This allowed everyone to meet their needs simply and then spend time getting caught up on each other's lives....
I offered mini cupcakes for dessert, which were the perfect size, just to finish it all off.
She wasn't here long, but it was wonderful to see her.....
Then.....
Sunday was St. Patrick's Day. We always have corned beef and cabbage.
I do the "New England" style that my mother taught....all in one pot.
It was going to be my daughters, my Father-in-law and Hubby and I, but one daughter couldn't come, she got called in to work and then my Father-in-law wasn't feeling well...and here I had two briskets and two cabbages and countless potatoes and carrots... all cooking in the giant roaster. So, we invited my daughter's friends to come and eat.
Served with Irish soda bread (from Sprouts), we had a great time.


I made cookies and brownies for dessert....
It was a fun evening and I am glad we did it.....
But, now it is Monday.....
No one coming to visit...no parties...just laundry to get caught up on and figuring what to do with all that leftover food......
What did you do this weekend?
Nancy

No comments: