Friday, March 1, 2013

In the garden

Today, it is warm.
As I took the dogs out early this morning, the air was filled with birds and their songs. Spring is here in Southern California.
I decided that I am going to have a potato box this year....Last year, my Hubby was cleaning out the "wood" box, and the entire bottom dropped out, it was completely rotten. And there were lots of spiders.....EEEK!
He sprayed the spiders and then we let it sit, out in the veggie garden area all summer and winter...and now....I have a plan.
Based on some things I read, it is perfect for a potato box. You take some cut and sprouting potatoes, put them on a base of dirt and as they grow, you keep adding dirt. At the end of the season when they are ready, pull up the box and out will tumble potatoes. It sounds so much better than digging!
 Here is the box. It was once, many years ago a toy box for one of our daughters. It had a stencil on it, once and after the winter, there is no sign of it.
I lightly uncovered the red potato so you can see it. And over the season, I will add dirt. Yes, these are red potatoes (from a market), they had started to grow in the kitchen, so why waste food, right? I might throw in a couple of russet potatoes too, we will see. It is a different kind of composting....LOL.
My garden is in serious need of weeding, but my back is not pleased, so I am going to find my garden tools which are hidden behind boxes for the shop.
Over in one of the raised beds my pansies have returned and are blooming....
As well as arugula and parsley....
Out in the other area of raised beds, my fava beans are making pods and some are almost ready to harvest, I think.....
And, weeks ago, when Hubby and I went to a Farmer's Market, we bought a delicious bag of "King Beans"....and I planted 5 of them. These were fresh shelled beans, so it might have been a bit of a stretch to plant them....but that is par for the course around here....
Anyway, two have started to grow, here is one of them...
So, we will see what we get. Of course, any drawings and plans that I made this winter as to how the garden would be laid out, has gone out the window. My garden tends to be somewhat haphazard.
Right now the Santa Ana winds have kicked up and I do not enjoy those, so I guess that is all the gardening I am doing today....maybe tomorrow....
Nancy

No comments: