Friday, March 15, 2013

A New Take on Creamed Chicken

When I have leftover chicken, especially from a whole chicken, I often cream the chicken and serve it on rice, or noodles or potatoes....
However, I was looking for something new and wanted to create. You know how it is, I was tired of the same old thing.
Right. So, I looked in the cupboard for inspiration to hit. And it did. A couple of months ago, I had purchased a can of coconut cream. It was for another recipe that I did not do.
I also had some of Trader Joe's cut up butternut squash as well....Humm, I thought I wonder...
I put the coconiut cream into the large frying pan with the squash and simmered until the squash was almost tender, just enough to make the bites smaller than they were. I added a pinch of bouquet Garni, cumin, salt and pepper and then threw in the cut up cooked chicken. (It was a good size cup worth). I let that simmer for a bit and felt it still needed something, so into the fridge I rummaged and came up with about a 1/4 cup of homemade orange marmalade. Ah Ha! I ladled out some of the now yummy coconut sauce into a small bowl and whisked in the marmalade. Which I then poured back into the simmering brew.
When everything was yummy (about another 5 mins or so) I served this over rice.
I topped it with chopped parsley and pine nuts, but you could use cilantro, or even mint....

Oh, yeah, it was good.....very good. It is going on my list of go to recipes. It was way easier than making a cream sauce. There is no gluten. And no added cholesterol. Coconut is the new health food, so this is a good, yummy thing....
Give it a try and put a twist on of your own!
Nancy

No comments: