Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Spring?

It has been cold, for here So. Cal anyway. No, it isn't as cold as other parts of the US, but for us, quite chilly! We have had a great number of "chill hours", so that will be good for some of the trees around here. You know the ones like pears and cherries that need a larger number of chill hours.
I have one tree that doesn't seem to care, it was the first to bloom last year, and it is again this year. It is my miniature peach. Last year, it's first with us, it gave us about thirty little peaches. Oh so yummy peaches.

Isn't that something? We had a couple of warm days, about 75 degrees and boom, it bloomed. Of ourse, tomorrow we are supposed to get rain, so like last year, I will cover it lightly to protect the new blooms.
And, my Fava beans are blooming like crazy! They went all winter with no problems at all with freezes! Really. I planted the seeds in late September and they have been growing and blooming the entire time. Now, if we can get more bees. People have had swarms and the bee population is dropping because when they get a swarm, they call an exterminator. Sad.
I would go to great lengths to find someone to collect them....ya know? I have even saved a number on my computer to call for "live collection". We need those bees, even little suburban "farmers" like me.


Aren't they wonderful? The blooms are closed here, yesterday they were open and gorgeous and I took a picture, but it got lost.....
I also have trimmed my elderberry and soaked the cuttings and then potted them to regrow new ones. I think it is working. They have the type of stalks that can easily grow roots if given the chance. elderberries are an important part of the "medicine cabinet" around here as well as just being yummy in jams and pies.
It doesn't look like much, but that is 4 stalks and I think if only one works I am ahead of the game.
Yup, with sunny days here and there, the birds say it is spring too. Next door the bluebirds have started nesting and the hummingbirds are claiming territory.
Is it spring where you are?
Nancy

4 comments:

Heather@http://southernabbey.com said...

I wish I had weather enough to grow something! I am looking forward to when I can put a shovel in the ground again. Thanks for stopping by southernabbey.com. I am your newest follower!

Cristina Garay said...

How great to have a peach tree! I'm tempted to plant one but I'm not that good at gardening, most of the things I've planted don't survive :(
Thanks for your nice comment on my blog!

Holly Browning said...

I wish I lived in Southern Cal. I live in southern Virginia and it is warm some days and so freezing others. Ready for Spring, too! Love that black trellis in your garden!

Pat@Life At Lydias House said...

You are so lucky to have a peach tree! I can't wait for spring which will soon be followed by peach season!