First let me explain.
I have been looking at wonderful pictures all over the blogosphere at the miraculous creations that others have done. I am loving a more relaxed and somewhat "rustic" touch here and there.
My house is filled with beautiful pieces, but once in a while I think a "rustic" piece might just relax and calm the soul. Anyone else feel this way?
When my friend gave me the chair, you know the one that wouldn't fit? She knew my plans, well mostly. We talked about it for weeks. In fact, we found some wonderful fabric on sale at the store and I bought it, but alas, when I draped it on the chair, it was way too dark. No loss...it makes a great tablecloth. It will be perfect outside on the big table we have......
I was going for the look that Restoration Hardware has of stripped down furniture. I was going to take the chair down to the wood, and create from there.
I didn't realize that I was going on an excavation.
I began yesterday, cutting and tearing. I was going for it. I do not have pictures for you of the layers...that I discovered. But, I had to stop.
There were metal strips that only a furniture upholsterer with his massive machines could remove. Perhaps a jackhammer.
There was this layer of old, almost delightful fabric underneath the front fabric that looked like grainsack, but rougher with stripes of orange, blue and green. It was old. And it wasn't coming off easily (Nor did it go with my decor). By this time, my muscles were on their second dose of Advil....I was not going to get to the wood.
Do you know how many super staples they use when upholstering? This one has more.
When I removed the back and sides, I decided on a different approach. I would do a rustic recover. I removed only what needed to be removed...
I went to the fabric store, bought new batting, rustic looking tacks, and foam.
So, here is where I started.....
And, this is where I am today....not finished...but well underway....
I will be showing the rest to you later....I am sewing a new cover for the seat today after I cut the foam.
I painted the legs, they don't show in this picture as the fabric is not attached to the bottom yet...but it is getting there.
Oh the French do this so much better.
But hey, it was free, and I only bought foam, batting and tacks and oh yeah, more staples. It is an exploration of creativity, and adventure.
I will keep you posted......